Trackspec Clio 197

I need to check prices as I'm planning on the following too:

Gripper plate diff
Steel lightened flywheel

Also need to see what my options are around gear ratios as I'd be tempted to keep the 197 ratios over the Meg ones with a LSD fitted to the 197 box.

Reactions: Pav
I need to check prices as I'm planning on the following too:

Gripper plate diff
Steel lightened flywheel

Also need to see what my options are around gear ratios as I'd be tempted to keep the 197 ratios over the Meg ones with a LSD fitted to the 197 box.
Any reason you'd go gripper diff over say a Quaife? I'm thinking LSD next year, looking at opinions!

Reactions: tombate911
Any reason you'd go gripper diff over say a Quaife? I'm thinking LSD next year, looking at opinions!

Superiority more than anything. The Gripper diff is a plate type and the Quaife is a ATB (Automatic torque biasing). They function differently but they both improve grip and handling by way of limiting the amount of wheel slip.

The Quaife ATB is fit-and-forget and low maintenance. It's very effective when the car has good grip on both wheels but it biases torque to one wheel over another, and doesn't completely re-direct it to one wheel in the event of complete loss of grip on one side. It never fully locks.

The Gripper diff is more complicated and its action is different. Plate diffs are usually configurable with ramp angles and pre-load which makes it more tuneable to the driver preference. Plate diffs can fully lock, if they are configured appropriately. It's action is generally faster than an ATB, but more aggressive. They do need annual servicing dependant on use and require specific oils too.

ATB diffs are popular for road users or track days and are smoother and consistent. Plate diffs are more aggressive but are for motorsport or hard use. The fully locking function also means if you break a driveshaft the car will still limp off a circuit or stage where are the ATB or standard 'Open Type' wont.

Quaife seem to have a good offer on at the moment. Hope that helps mate.

Reactions: Sean197 and Big Ben
Superiority more than anything. The Gripper diff is a plate type and the Quaife is a ATB (Automatic torque biasing). They function differently but they both improve grip and handling by way of limiting the amount of wheel slip.

The Quaife ATB is fit-and-forget and low maintenance. It's very effective when the car has good grip on both wheels but it biases torque to one wheel over another, and doesn't completely re-direct it to one wheel in the event of complete loss of grip on one side. It never fully locks.

The Gripper diff is more complicated and its action is different. Plate diffs are usually configurable with ramp angles and pre-load which makes it more tuneable to the driver preference. Plate diffs can fully lock, if they are configured appropriately. It's action is generally faster than an ATB, but more aggressive. They do need annual servicing dependant on use and require specific oils too.

ATB diffs are popular for road users or track days and are smoother and consistent. Plate diffs are more aggressive but are for motorsport or hard use. The fully locking function also means if you break a driveshaft the car will still limp off a circuit or stage where are the ATB or standard 'Open Type' wont.

Quaife seem to have a good offer on at the moment. Hope that helps mate.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it. Food for thought...!

Reactions: trackspec197
Haven't updated in a while but have a few parts purchased so will update later in the week.

I have some 10mm spacers fitted at the moment does anyone know if 20mm fit without clearance issues?

Can run 20mm spacers with standard speedlines, in running 225 and had space front bumper a tad. If running 215s you'll be fine.

On engine conversion , the 250 is a smart move. A lot newer engine over 225/r26, had better flowing turbo and more capable of taking increased tuning.

Just a remapped 250 lump with cooler will be plenty for a Clio imo. Very usable power. Looking into other areas of car like diff etc is better than just chasing power.

Can run 20mm spacers with standard speedlines, in running 225 and had space front bumper a tad. If running 215s you'll be fine.

So you've had to space bumper [Forward ?] a little with 20mm spacers and 225 width tyres (What profile btw) ?

Is this likely to apply to 225 tyres fitted with no spacers, or say a smaller 8 or 10mm spacer do you happen to know..........

Thanks for the info Chris. I've got 10mm all around at the moment but 20 would really fill the arches.

250 motor is definitely the way I'll be going if I do it. Just want a bit more grunt to be honest. The Clio demolishes most things on track through the bends and you can see that in my video footage, but I'd like a bit more go down the straights and out of the bends. I'm keen to retain the Clio box if possible and fit a proper diff to it.

The KW Clubsports, Dunlop DZ03G together with the brake set up has really made the car handle a treat. So focus next year will be power. I do prefer N/A and would love a set of bodies, cams etc but the turbo option is much more reliable and more bang for buck.

Power of wise a stage 1 with circa 280bhp would be plenty of power for the Clio anymore will be wasted and will
No doubt change the characteristics of the car

Reactions: Pav and Sean197
I agree the Clio does lack start line grunt, and the engine is not overalku tunable.

Yeh don't want take the cornering charatrictes away from Clio and just turn it into a point and squirt style car like most people do

Small update. I finally got my hands on a new front splitter

D30B4593-3873-4D9F-84AA-496D9D102B79_zpsrpfak4h5.jpg

Slicks are ready. Decided to spray the Laguna wheels gold.
6594C7D2-67B7-40ED-922C-C16FBA1DE53F_zpstaxndjcb.jpg

New stickers fitted too

744D45F9-F5CA-4726-A074-203C96CA24B4_zpsi1r7a95a.jpg

I've also gone down the black badge route which should tie the colour scheme together.

Reactions: Jimmy and Sean197
Laguna wheels look sexy as hell. Will look lovely on-car ! As does the splitter.

Great paintjob on the wheels too. Rattle can yourself or....?

Presume the Laguna wheels are for the Track as they have slicks on ! I've seen a few with these. Is the offset suitable with no extra spacers etc ?

Small update. I finally got my hands on a new front splitter

D30B4593-3873-4D9F-84AA-496D9D102B79_zpsrpfak4h5.jpg

Slicks are ready. Decided to spray the Laguna wheels gold.
6594C7D2-67B7-40ED-922C-C16FBA1DE53F_zpstaxndjcb.jpg

New stickers fitted too

744D45F9-F5CA-4726-A074-203C96CA24B4_zpsi1r7a95a.jpg

I've also gone down the black badge route which should tie the colour scheme together.
I think this may have inspired my next wheel colour [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

How much was the splitter if you don't mind me asking?
Message Paul Temperton on FB mate. He'll be able to sort you out a price.

Laguna wheels look sexy as hell. Will look lovely on-car ! As does the splitter.

Great paintjob on the wheels too. Rattle can yourself or....?

Presume the Laguna wheels are for the Track as they have slicks on ! I've seen a few with these. Is the offset suitable with no extra spacers etc ?

Thanks mate. Yes just a rattle tin, should give it a Williams look. They are just for the track days. They are a straight fit and only £15 each soman absolute bargain. I'll be running 20mm spacers as I want the wheels to fill the arches.

Hoping to sort out a F4RT motor shortly too .

Message Paul Temperton on FB mate. He'll be able to sort you out a price.

Thanks mate. Yes just a rattle tin, should give it a Williams look. They are just for the track days. They are a straight fit and only £15 each soman absolute bargain. I'll be running 20mm spacers as I want the wheels to fill the arches.

Hoping to sort out a F4RT motor shortly too .

Brilliant job with a can. Bet that took some prep. Colour will suit your car a treat....... :smile:

What a bargain @ £15 each ! I've just found a set for £75 near me. Hoping i can snag these now after seeing yours....

Good luck with the F4RT.