Shuv's Racing Blue 200...................

A few thoughts on the Eibach Springs / Front spacers / Rear stub axle spacers V's Standard (Non-Cup) scenario i've got going on now..... :smile:

In the end i settled on 5mm hub-centric front spacers as this appears to be the amount that is deemed by many not to negatively effect handling or geometry whilst giving some extra width / track. While i wanted some looks ref 'stance' - I'm not prepared to risk giving up the Clio nimbleness or neutral handling; which is a large part of why i bought it in the first place.

The rear had 10mm Pure Motorsport stub-axle spacers fitted. The rear track width not quite carrying the same importance in a FWD car.

And the Springs were Eibachs and advertised as 15/20mm drop. In reality it turned out to be more like 23/22mm after a few weeks to allow for any settling.

***Unfortunately i've therefore made "numerous" changes at once. So this "report" will have to be taken somewhat with a pinch of salt as its difficult to pin-point anything im talking about to one particular change !

So: Feel is much the same. Pretty supple and i only really get more 'crashing' (Compared to standard) over short/sharp bumps or dips. And surprisingly the difference is more noticeable and pronounced at the rear..... Other than that in terms of normal day to day driving; the difference isnt night and day different.

When starting to push a little harder when cornering, the initial body roll on turn-in has been reduced hugely thanks to the springs. This is a huge plus. And the less body roll trait stays as you continue to push mid corner and upon exit.

I've particularly noticed much more grip in the wet. I thought the car was way above average before in the wet with my choice of tyres. I've got a couple of largish roundabouts on my journey to work and the speed i can maintain around them now is a little "embarrassing" at times. The difference in the dry is there - but less noticeable than when its been raining.

In terms of any negative traits- either from the springs or the spacers; i havn't found any yet. The car doesn't track / grab dips / bump ' valleys in the road and i've noticed nothing adverse under acceleration or braking.

I did research quite long and hard before i dived-in. and this wasn't your average "slam-it and jam on 20mm spacer" scenario.

Whilst i have no illusion that B14's wouldnt be an ever bigger jump forward, as someone who wont be tracking this car and wanted a sensible drop with and didn't really want to compromise ride quality or the ability to actually get over (Not scrape along) the next sleeping policeman in the road - im very happy with a bit of increased road-holding and somewhat getting rid of the standard Non-Cup's tractor looks.

And i still have enough space to get a sponge (Albeit a slimline version) in-between the wheel and arch come cleaning time. Which for a clean-freak is another bonus :smile:

Cheers for staying with me.......

Good review Syer..glad you have found this set up perfect to go with your needs..
Think I would like your way to work with some round abouts...

Reactions: sevenfourate
Few niggles crossed off the list this morning:

Cleaned PCV as per Dystant's latest and most excellent "How to". [Suppose it did need doing really........ :shocked:].

IMG_5764_zpsmrfjn83f.jpg

Stuck a small piece of 3M Dual-lock on the corner of the Glovebox, as the dreaded sag was starting to appear:

IMG_5765_zpseijwves4.jpg

IMG_5766_zpsvpgj238k.jpg

Had a little clean and tidy under the bonnet after making a little mess fitting new Alarm bracket and cleaning PCV etc:

IMG_5768_zpsgsczkhhk.jpg

And replaced a rear number-plate bulb as its blown. AGAIN !!!!

IMG_5767_zpsqdyuvpsr.jpg

***** I've got 8-LED 501's on all interior bulbs and on the rear numberplate. Had no issues at all with any of them inside since day 1. Apart from the numberplate ones. They seem to alternate blowing on a monthly basis.

The ones i've been using arent Osram, Phillips etc [Not silly cheap Chinese ones either] but as i say i've had no problems on the interior side of things.

Im wondering if a top-quality bulb might help on the exterior ones. So anyone got any suggestions or long-term experience of any before i go spending 'absurd' amounts of dosh on two nearly insignificant bulbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-W5W...915874?hash=item43fc3191e2:g:NpIAAOSwImRYVRsv

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I get jealous every single time you post a picture of your engine bay, it's so tidy and looks so good!

You've reminded me I need to order some of that 3M lock stuff, managed to pull my Velcro stuff off completely and it's lost its stickiness now.

I'm assuming that lock stuff holds really well?

I get jealous every single time you post a picture of your engine bay, it's so tidy and looks so good!

You've reminded me I need to order some of that 3M lock stuff, managed to pull my Velcro stuff off completely and it's lost its stickiness now.

I'm assuming that lock stuff holds really well?

If anything.....too well !

Stuck on one side, removed backing on the other side and shut the glove-box. Pressed it really hard in that area; opened up....and the sticky stuff hadn't held on the 'door' :smile: So both plastic parts of the Dual-Lock are now stuck together only on the dashboard side. Doh.....#

So cut the strip alot smaller [I bought a 2" x 1" strip from ebay] and went upstairs and "activated" the sticky with a hairdryer and re-applied. Again: pushed really hard to help it all grab, but this time im going to wait a few days for both the sticky pads to get a good hold before i try to open the glove-box again !

Engine bay takes quite a few hours initially. And you will cut the backs of your hands etc reaching into those hard to get to spots. You just need to keep at it - and once its looking good 1/2 hour here or there keeps ontop of it.

Great write-up on the handling changes since getting the lows and spacers combo. It's interesting that you're so happy with that set-up, given that you see so many spacers for sale on here. Looks and performance, win win!

I'm going to be keeping an eye out on my number plate lights now you've mentioned yours blowing. I put LEDs in too, so I will watch for them potentially blowing.

Great write-up on the handling changes since getting the lows and spacers combo. It's interesting that you're so happy with that set-up, given that you see so many spacers for sale on here. Looks and performance, win win!

I'm going to be keeping an eye out on my number plate lights now you've mentioned yours blowing. I put LEDs in too, so I will watch for them potentially blowing.

Everything in life is a compromise Jimmy i guess. Or eventually something has to give......

As ever; i tried to do my 'homework' and time will tell if i made the right decision first time :smile:

****On the bulbs........one side normally flickers first as a warning then dies. They seem to be lasting about 2 months each right now.

Reactions: Jimmy
Yes, you're definitely right there Shuv!

OK, I will keep an eye on the bulbs - only had them in a week or so. I'd read that replacement bulbs was the 'best' way to do an LED upgrade on the number plate lights. There seems to be a full unit that replaces the holder, however from what I read, they were causing the fuses to blow, IIRC. So bulbs it was. I wonder if it's sensitive to a certain type of LED?? Just stabbing in the dark there though.

Yes, you're definitely right there Shuv!

OK, I will keep an eye on the bulbs - only had them in a week or so. I'd read that replacement bulbs was the 'best' way to do an LED upgrade on the number plate lights. There seems to be a full unit that replaces the holder, however from what I read, they were causing the fuses to blow, IIRC. So bulbs it was. I wonder if it's sensitive to a certain type of LED?? Just stabbing in the dark there though.

Yea Jim....those ebay replacement units seem to be hit and miss. Some swear by them. Others swear about them !!

And yes - exactly why i was pondering about a couple of 'Premium' quality bulbs in that location alone.

Yea Jim....those ebay replacement units seem to be hit and miss. Some swear by them. Others swear about them !!

And yes - exactly why i was pondering about a couple of 'Premium' quality bulbs in that location alone.

Well I've had these saved in my ebay basket for a long time - they were linked to and recommended a while ago as being a good choice for the number plate lights and interior, i.e. no faults from either. Still reasonably priced and tried-and-tested, so might be a better option to try before the more premium ones?

***I ordered the ones you linked me to, so I didn't actually get those above.

Well I've had these saved in my ebay basket for a long time - they were linked to and recommended a while ago as being a good choice for the number plate lights and interior, i.e. no faults from either. Still reasonably priced and tried-and-tested, so might be a better option to try before the more premium ones?

***I ordered the ones you linked me to, so I didn't actually get those above.

Possibly worth a try Jimmy and thanks for the link.

I do just wonder if moisture (There was no "wet" as such anywhere when i swapped one out today) is the issue ?

Hence why going to an enclosed older style [But LED] Osram bulb might sort the issue....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-OSRAM-...872626?hash=item234ca710f2:g:9BMAAOSwuTxV7uuz

Possibly worth a try Jimmy and thanks for the link.

I do just wonder if moisture (There was no "wet" as such anywhere when i swapped one out today) is the issue ?

Hence why going to an enclosed older style [But LED] Osram bulb might sort the issue....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-OSRAM-...872626?hash=item234ca710f2:g:9BMAAOSwuTxV7uuz

Possibly so buddy. The rubber seals are definitely missing from my holders/covers, however I've not noticed any moisture in there when I've changed the bulbs out. One to observe!

Possibly so buddy. The rubber seals are definitely missing from my holders/covers, however I've not noticed any moisture in there when I've changed the bulbs out. One to observe!

I've seen and had no rust / corrosion at the connection point either. The LED's themselves are purely failing.

The one i removed today was definitely 'blackened' on the body of the bulb in places......

I've seen and had no rust / corrosion at the connection point either. The LED's themselves are purely failing.

The one i removed today was definitely 'blackened' on the body of the bulb in places......

Hmm, odd one. I will have a look at mine tomorrow morning then... Perhaps they just don't like LEDs for some reason.

:smiley: That first photo mate!!!

What are you putting mustard in your car?

:smiley:

Amazed with how good your engine bay looks. A lot of hard work and dedication there!

Wanna do ours?

:tongueout:

:smiley: That first photo mate!!!

What are you putting mustard in your car?

Amazed with how good your engine bay looks. A lot of hard work and dedication there!

Wanna do ours?

:tongueout:

Its runs a dream on a Hellmans / Ripe banana mix i tell you.........

Im free next weekend if you wanna "pop over" :smile:

Its runs a dream on a Hellmans / Ripe banana mix i tell you.........

Im free next weekend if you wanna "pop over" :smile:

Ha, don't tease me mate. Two and a half hours away! Although hmm... your engine bay looks as good as any I've seen on here...

Lovely little write up on the suspension shuv, yeah coilovers are a bit of an overkill I guess, so makes sense to do what youve done! Glad its worked out for you..

The benefit of coilovers in the cleaning department, is you have them low enough you can't even see the arches to have to worry about them, hah!