Shuv's Racing Blue 200...................

Thanks very much Colin !

Coming from such a stickler / lover of pretty standard machinery (That's NOT a criticism) and not having one of the more common spoiler designs; and in a 'non standard' colour combo - and you still like it.......That's high praise indeed :smile:

Interesting on the hand vs machine polishing. I can well understand your thinking. Now ive done the hard work - I would think being careful washing etc - hand polishing might well do the job from here on in. Less obtrusive / aggressive too of course.

What's your favoured polish @LOCKE ?
For light swirling by DA I like Menzerna 3800 Final Finish for hand polishing and no cut I use Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular. Like yourself I've tired 101 different products but settled for what I find comfortable with.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Not sure how the hell i didn't notice the seals had gone on the rear glass.......

Typical me though. What everyone else does in 15-30 minutes took me a couple of hours nearly :smile:

Old one splitting badly :

36240481825_c8e3c592e3_b.jpg

And the drivers side was completely shot to bits with one side missing altogether :

35406587854_4d200b8887_b.jpg

These had already been purchased:

35848014260_5e717ab9d8_b.jpg

**(Cheapest place for genuine items was from here @ £21.50 the pair with next day delivery):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-197-Clio-III-Genuine-Rear-Quarter-Glass-Seal-3-Door-8200341503/281602130810?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So off the old ones came. And here's where the 'pains' began. Cleaning all the old glue residue off properly - to ensure perfect adhesion of the new ones - was er.....time consuming ! I imagine that being stuck on the inside of the rear glass; they are originally stuck onto the window before the window is fitted. Doing in reverse is a bit of a ball-ache and required a few home-made 'shaped' tools to get in the gap behind the glass......

36240478435_081ee75afa_b.jpg

35434861613_114ef6f58f_b.jpg

After getting off every single piece of gunk from behind the glass and in the channel, i re-sealed the glass on the outside where any Tar remover may have removed my very recent coating of H2GO:

36240478435_081ee75afa_b.jpg

And then had a bit of a fight coaxing the new ones in; using a couple of credit cards, a smidgeon of fairy liquid in some hot water for lubrication; a healthy dollop of brute force and ignorance and alot of choice language :smile:

Job done !

35848011280_2557083480_b.jpg

****Gloss Black B-Pillar wrap pictured was so poor quality and hazed / marked i'm not even going to waste my time with this stuff. Which is unfortunate as its a lovely clear, warm day out there :frowning:

Nice cheap maintenance job ticked off Shuv.

Can't wait to see how your b-pillars look after they've been wrapped. I've already bought mine but waiting for someone else to show me all the things not to do before I start:wink:

Enjoy the sunshine. It's raining here and heading your way:sunglasses:

Nice cheap maintenance job ticked off Shuv.

Can't wait to see how your b-pillars look after they've been wrapped. I've already bought mine but waiting for someone else to show me all the things not to do before I start:wink:

Enjoy the sunshine. It's raining here and heading your way:sunglasses:

HA HA !!

You going Gloss,Satin or Matte mate ? What stuff did you per-chase ?

I'll happily do a little write up along with a few piccies showing the pitfalls and hazards. Knowing me i'll find most of them :smile:

Reactions: Big Ben
Getting that glue off is a total pain! Well worth the time doing it properly though - if you don't, the nice shiny new seal falls off shortly after application and you have to buy another one..........................allegedly.

I did read up on that. I didn't realise "who" the example was referring to though.

Thanks for clearing that up Jimmy :smile:

Reactions: Jimmy
I've gone for matt black pre cut jobbies off eBay. Principal of fitting should be the same!

Good job Shuv. Looks loads better. We really need to do ours. They've gone completely on both sides.

Good job Shuv. Looks loads better. We really need to do ours. They've gone completely on both sides.

We'll see how well my clean-up went and how long they last Mes !!!

**Its normally at this point i'd make a kind offer to fulfill your needs....

At this point though - i'll just wish you good luck :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: ///M
We'll see how well my clean-up went and how long they last Mes !!!

**Its normally at this point i'd make a kind offer to fulfill your needs....

At this point though - i'll just wish you good luck :tearsofjoy:

That's up to Mrs M mate, I'll do it if she buys them but it's like taking the rubbish out... I'm trying to avoid it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice one Shuv!

Stuff like that I do admire others patience, mine seriously lacks lol! Fortunate I've not had to do it on either of my clios!

I'm not going to burst your bubble but the likelihood of it staying stuck firm the entire length is quite slim.

I replaced one a few weeks ago. Like you i removed it, cleaned all the gunk away with Tardis and a scraper to ensure I got it all and then fit the new one and ensured it was stuck firm. I even heated the seal up to ensure the glue was more malleable and 'sticky' and it's already coming loose in some spots.

Very shoddy design on Renaults part.

Looking good though Shuv :smiley:

I'm not going to burst your bubble but the likelihood of it staying stuck firm the entire length is quite slim.

I replaced one a few weeks ago. Like you i removed it, cleaned all the gunk away with Tardis and a scraper to ensure I got it all and then fit the new one and ensured it was stuck firm. I even heated the seal up to ensure the glue was more malleable and 'sticky' and it's already coming loose in some spots.

I was waiting for the nice positive solution after all that. But it never came :smile:

I also cleaned, heated, prepped and got a credit card in behind and pushed up firmly for 5 mins on both sides to do the very best i could.

If mine doesn't stick. No-ones ever will........

***Seeing as there is some sort of pretty substantial inner seal / sealant around the window you can see behind the strip. I'm not really sure the purpose of it anyway.....?

I was waiting for the nice positive solution after all that. But it never came :smile:

I also cleaned, heated, prepped and got a credit card in behind and pushed up firmly for 5 mins on both sides to do the very best i could.

If mine doesn't stick. No-ones ever will........

***Seeing as there is some sort of pretty substantial inner seal / sealant around the window you can see behind the strip. I'm not really sure the purpose of it anyway.....?

It's for noise (and when you close the door it cushions the impact). If you leave them off, it whistles like mad over 35. The glue on the new strips isn't thick enough/wide enough to stay stuck it seems. I have just left mine and I'll see how long they last :smile:

It's for noise (and when you close the door it cushions the impact). It you leave them off, it whistles like mad over 35. The glue on the new strips isn't thick enough/wide enough to stay stuck it seems. I have just left mine and I'll see how long they last :smile:

Explains alot. Cheers Greg.

Goes back to them being stuck on before glass installation i suspect.

So you could potentially Stanley knife off the lip that tucks in and then stick the remaining 'D' shaped section straight onto the door pillar where you can get to it and do a proper job sticking it down ?

Not like it's needed for rain protection / water egress.......

Looking good though Shuv :smiley:
+1 unfortunately. Mine became loose as soon as I closed the door! Plan is to wrap that area at the same time as the b-pillar. Fingers crossed yours stay on Shuv!

+1 unfortunately. Mine became loose as soon as I closed the door! Plan is to wrap that area at the same time as the b-pillar. Fingers crossed yours stay on Shuv!

Wrap that area......

Hows that going to work Davinder ?

Your'e going to leave the rubber out and wrap over the paint below it for 'visuals' ?

Reactions: DS197