First Rotary Use!!

Had a Rotary polisher for quite a while now, but been putting off using it on the car as I know you can do a fair bit of damage if not used correctly.

So went today and got a scrap panel (from a scrappy! DUH) to practice before i let loose on the beast!!

Dunno what model the bonnet is from but it is a Ford as we found out from the windscreen washer we took off it. Its a mystery!

WelshTom1990 was with me on this aswell, think he took a few more photos than me so, when he's on he'll put his up.

What we did/Equipment:

Quick Wash/AG Shampoo and Noodle mitt
Clay/ CYC clay with DoDo Juice Born Slippy
Dry with Drying Towel
Sliverline Storm Rotary with a 7" soft foam cutting pad 2.0
Megs 83 Duel Action cleaner/polish.

Obviously a bit jumpy to begin with, but I felt like as i was getting better at it as I went on. Going to give it another bash tomoro with the Megs 80 polish just to get more practice and the last few swirls out.

Any "constructive criticism" is welcome!!

Pictures:

59d12654.jpg

3733354a.jpg

Only took two myself. An these two of the two 197's on my driveway.

f1c79f2c.jpg

e12ca843.jpg

Welshtom1990 will put his photos up either tonight or tomoro

Cheers

I much prefer using my rotary.

Much easier to get a nice finish and with the right products no more risk the a DA.

I much prefer using my rotary.

Much easier to get a nice finish and with the right products no more risk the a DA.

I haven't myself used a DA. Any noticeable difference?

I want to give it a couple more go's to get more confident using it before I let loose on the Clio

You poor poor boys get out while you are still sane
I've been there 20 yrs lol

I was thinking of buying one of these, but I would prefer a DA as I have heard they are easier for beginners. Did you find it ok to use?

I was thinking of buying one of these, but I would prefer a DA as I have heard they are easier for beginners. Did you find it ok to use?

nearly Everyone says to get a DA as it is easier (apprently) and you can do less damage with a DA than a Rotary. But me being me though it would be easy, as the pros do make it look easy.

I found it hard to control at first, was quite jumpy, but as soon as you get used to it then it is ok. I'm still not that confident to use it on my car yet, but I'm sure pretty soon i will be.

I would definetly recomend buying a scrap panel to use it on first to save yourself a heafty bill on your own car if things go wrong.

One thing that went wrong our test panel is that we used the wrong tape to section bits off, and pulled some clear coat of with the tape when peeling it off! Proper 3M tape is needed

Heard a da is easier for an amateur, but this is only the second time I used a rotary and I found it easy enough, had a few times where I lost control over a rough patch of paintwork. But just turn off machine and have another go. Just don't rush it. Small parts at a time etc.... Have a look on detailing world mate, they have everything you need to know on there.

I haven't myself used a DA. Any noticeable difference?

I want to give it a couple more go's to get more confident using it before I let loose on the Clio

It's a little difficult to describe. They do the same thing it's just the rotary does it better.

DA is probs easier to work with cos it's lighter and doesn't want to wonder the same but it just doesn't get the job done the same. There is no heat and the finish is not the same. I can get a better finish quicker with the rotary, 1 light pad and a light compound than a 2 stage job with the DA.

Thing for me with a rotary is for the same price as a DA (just the machine)you can get a silverline rotary some swissvax cleaner fluid pro and a pad.

That's all you need for a cracking finish.